The calendar might not say summer until June 21, but Memorial Day Weekend has always been the unofficial time to kick off summer in Northern Michigan.
From athletic events and wine tours to farmers markets and classic car shows, there’s something for everyone to enjoy! In addition to stopping by Cherry Republic’s main campus in Glen Arbor, our flagship store in Downtown Traverse City, or our outpost in the beautiful village of Charlevoix, we have some other fun travel ideas as you make your plans to kick off summer over Memorial Day Weekend.
- The Bayshore Marathon: Celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, the Bayshore has become a bucket-list event for runners of all abilities thanks to the breathtaking scenery all along the route that runs along Grand Traverse Bay. The half marathon and 10K are filled, but spots are still available for the full marathon and the kids marathon on Saturday, May 28.
- Northport Cars in the Park: If you’re a fan of classic cars, this Norman Rockwell-type event is not to be missed! The fun starts Saturday, May 28, at 10 a.m. at Haserot Park in Northport and runs until 3 p.m. This year marks the 25th anniversary of Leelanau County’s longest running car show, and it’s free to attend.
- Rosé All May: While you’re in Leelanau County, be sure to save time for some wine tasting! The Leelanau Peninsula Vintners Association is hosting Rosé All May throughout the month. Choose from three distinct wine trail loops, including the Sleeping Bear Loop, where you’ll find The Winery at Cherry Republic in Glen Arbor. Tickets are $35 each and include 3 oz pours of Rosé and a signature glass souvenir.
- Cherry Blossom Bike Tour: The cherry trees bloomed a bit early this year, but you still might be able to catch some of their flowery annual show over Memorial Day Weekend. On this self-guided tour, you’ll be able to enjoy a leisurely ride through some of the prettiest orchards and vineyards in Leelanau County. The tour starts and ends in Suttons Bay and includes a picnic lunch from local eateries.
- Suttons Bay Farmers Market: A healthy and delicious way to kick off summer fun in Northern Michigan is with a stop at one of our local farmers markets. If you’re in Leelanau County, stop by the Suttons Bay Farmers Market on Saturday between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. where you can browse for everything from fresh produce and flowers to local cheeses, honey and maple syrup.
- Sleeping Bear Dunes: Of course one of the best ways to kick off summer in Northern Michigan is with a visit to the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. Take a walk or bike ride along the Heritage Trail, hike up to Pyramid Point, tackle the Dune Climb, or take in the amazing views at Sleeping Bear Point.