- 2 cups white or whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 1/4 cup Cherry Republic Dried Cherries, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cup (from 4 medium bananas) ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tablespoon vegetable oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat 9 X 5 inch loaf pan with nonstick baking spray.
In medium bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom and cinnamon.
In large bowl, with mixer on medium-high speed, beat sugar, egg whites, and egg until almost doubled in volume. On medium speed, beat in bananas, buttermilk, and oil until well combined.
With rubber spatula, gently fold in flour mixture until just combined. When combined, add cherries and walnuts.
Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Let cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on wire rack. Can be stored, tightly wrapped, at room temperature up to 3 days or in freezer up to 1 month.
Yield: 12 slices each.