A delicious breakfast treat for the holidays: Cherry Peanut Butter-Stuffed French Toast.
For me, this morning meal evokes memories of my childhood. It’s what I always asked for when my mom would make me breakfast in bed for my birthday. (Love you Mom!)
While my Mom’s recipe didn’t include stuffing it with peanut butter and topping it with Cherry Preserves and Cherry Granola, it was still one of my childhood favorites. So this is her recipe with a Cherry Republic twist!
When it comes to french toast, all too often, what should be a delightfully-golden brown crusted, fluffy, soft-in-the-middle, custardy treat ends up being a soggy, limp piece of syrup-drenched sponge. This delicious recipe is a guide to better French toast.
Best of all: it can be made ahead of time to accompany a large group. Be patient with the sautéing process and make sure to achieve the golden brown crust. Then you can refrigerate these slices and bake the morning-of for a quick breakfast!
Peanut Butter Stuffed French Toast With Cherry Granola
For The Batter
- 4 Eggs Room Temperature
- 3 Egg Yolks Rom Temperature
- 2/3 Cup Half-and-Half
- 2/3 Cup White Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 3/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 12 Slices Cinnamon Pull-Apart Bread
For The Cooking
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
For The Finishing
- 2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 2 Tbsp Cherry Preserves
- 1/2 Cup Cherry Republic Triple Cherry Granola
- 1 Tbsp Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Crack the eggs and egg yolks into a bowl and whisk. We recommend using the eggs at room temperature because it will help soften the egg yolk and will allow quicker whipping and greater volume.
- Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When pan is hot, add the vegetable oil and butter and melt.
- Dip each slice of bread into the batter and allow it to soak for 30 seconds per side. Allow excess batter to drip off of the bread before placing it into the pan.
- Place the bread into a non-stick pan and give it a gentle shake to be extra sure it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Sauté in pan until golden brown, flip and repeat on each side, about 3 minutes each. This step requires some patience to be sure you achieve the correct consistency on each side!
- Once flipped, grab your peanut butter. Once golden brown, remove from pan and place it onto the plate. Add your peanut butter to the top side of the first slide and immediately top with the second slice so that the peanut butter melts.
- Top the second slide with Cherry Preserves and sprinkle with powder sugar, if desired.
- Finish the dish by topping the second slice with our Triple Cherry Granola and a light drizzle of our Cherry Syrup.