With football season upon us Chef Tony has busted out his secret Green Cherry Salsa Queso Dip that he serves his guests at his sports gatherings. The shouting is not at the TV but how amazing this dip is…try it out.
Butter ¼ lb.
A.P. Flour ¾ C.
Whole Milk 48 fl. oz.
Red Pepper Jack Cheese, shredded 1 lb.
Cream Cheese, softened to room temp. 8 oz.
Kosher Salt 1 T
Cherry Republic Green Cherry Salsa 1-13 oz. jar
Cilantro, roughly chopped ¼ C.
- Start by making a roux. Melt butter over medium-low heat in a 4 quart stock pot. While the butter is melting, add milk to another pot and turn heat on low.
- When butter is just melted, slowly sprinkle flour into butter while whisking constantly. Sprinkle until all flour is incorporated, and stir constantly for 2 minutes. We do this to ‘cook’ the flour taste out of the roux.
- When milk is warm, begin adding it to the roux slowly with a ladle while whisking it in with the other hand. This step takes patience, but is crucial to making the dip correctly. Adding too much milk at one time will overwhelm the roux and will not absorb correctly.
- After the milk is fully incorporated, add the cream cheese in small chunks and whisk until fully incorporated. You can then begin to add the jack cheese in the same fashion.
- Add the salt and salsa and let simmer for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the heat, stir in cilantro and serve immediately.