Summer is officially here, which means if you aren’t overrun with garden-fresh zucchini already, it’s not far off! So if your garden is overflowing with this seasonal squash (or your co-workers are leaving anonymous gifts of veg on your desk each week), we’re here for you with a scrumptious recipe that features zucchini along with plump, juicy Montmorency Dried Cherries and crunchy walnuts. This recipe would also shine with the addition of dark chocolate chips, if you’re looking for an extra way to entice your kiddos with this healthy breakfast treat.
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup Cherry Republic Montmorency Dried Cherries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chip morsels (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350° F and grease the bottom and sides of an 8×4 loaf pan.
- Blend eggs, sugar, oil, yogurt, lemon zest, vanilla extract, and cinnamon until smooth.
- Squeeze excess water from grated zucchini; stir into batter.
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Stir into batter until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Fold in dried cherries and walnuts into the batter. Stir in chocolate chips, if desired.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 mins or until a toothpick comes out clean.